HEALTHY EATS: A Recipe For Garden Veggie Soup
Harvest Season is approaching! If you have a garden, I’m sure you already know that. Heck, if you have a friend/neighbor/family member with a garden, you probably know that, too! Yesterday I ran into a neighbor while walking my dog and ended up going home with pockets full of beans and tomatoes!
All of this to say, what are you going to do with all those veggies?! Make a delicious, nutritious soup! Isn’t it serendipitous you came across this post when your hands are full of fresh garden goodies that need to be eaten?
Enough rhyming. Let’s talk about this soup.
THE RECIPE: GARDEN VEGGIE SOUP
NOTE: This recipe comes from The Food Network
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups carrots (peeled, chopped into rounds; approximately 2 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 ears of corn, kernels removed
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup packed, chopped fresh parsley
- 1 or 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot. Set to medium-low heat. Add the leeks, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the tomatoes, corn kernels, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender (25 to 30 minutes).
Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt & serve immediately.
FOOD IS FUEL: FUEL YOUR BODY RIGHT!
This soup is absolutely perfect for getting your veggies in. Especially at this time of year, as the evenings get colder, it is a meal you will be so excited to come home to.
We have already made it clear that, although we are here to get you the best fitness equipment, our ultimate goal is to help you lead your healthiest and happiest life! So here's a recipe that help you maintain a healthy, diverse diet!
Food is fuel, and we are happy to provide you with food ideas that will help you stay fueled in and outside of the gym!
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER RECIPES, TOO!
Still hungry?? Give our other recipes a look!
- 3 Quick and Easy Breakfasts;
- A Salad Recipe that is simple, crunchy, delicious, and includes BACON;
- 5 Delicious Smoothies that are just waiting to be blended
- And a recipe for Lemon Poppyseed Acorn Squash Muffins (somehow, they taste even better than they sound! YUM!)
And more coming. Stay tuned!